Ding, ding, ding! In one corner, we have P90X and in the other corner INSANITY. You’ve heard a lot about each of the Beachbody home workout programs but just in case you haven’t: INSANITY was created by Shaun T and is a high intensity cardio home workout program that promises incredible results in 60 days. It includes plyometric drills and nonstop intervals. P90X is a 90 day home workout program designed by Tony Horton that is a mix of strength and cardio. Both were made to get you into some serious shape.
INSANITY vs P90X – What program should I choose?
Let me start by breaking each program down a bit more.
You will get in the best shape of your life if you follow the program. Yes, including the nutrition plan. It is at least 60% of the results.
- No equipment needed. Everything is done with the weight of your body.
- Not much space is needed.
- 60 days is a pretty short time period for commitment.
- Can get it all in about an hour each day.
- Some very delicious recipes from the nutrition plan.
- Easy to follow schedule.
- Modified moves option.
- May need to buy a mop since your floor will be soaked guaranteed!
- You may feel a need to yell at Shaun T!
- It’s very difficult and becomes a mental challenge (maybe this is a pro if you are a complete fitness nut?)
- Muscle confusion helps so you don’t plateau with your results.
- Tony Horton’s humor – “German potato soup”!
- Well laid out schedule to follow.
- Lots of variety so you don’t get bored.
- Has been known to give you a BURST of energy shortly after you find yourself laying on the floor catching your breath.
- Included nutrition plan gives you several options and changes with each month.
- It’s hard work!
- Some equipment involved.
- Length of Yoga X (90 minutes) is a common complaint but it works all areas of your body and you feel great afterwards.
- Tony Horton’s humor.
- Trying to keep up with Tony and pull-ups. It’s his wheelhouse!
INSANITY and P90X both offer the same advantages of:
- No travel to a gym.
- No gym fees.
- No waiting to get on a machine.
- Small investment when comparing to athletic club dues or even indirect costs of doctors’ visits, lost work time, etc.
- Free coaching from a coach like me to guide you through the process.
- Online community to post comments and share experiences.
- An instant accountability group of other like-minded people going through the same program.
- Daily cash given away just for logging your workouts on the Team Beachbody website.
The great thing I guarantee that you will see from either of these programs is a change in not only your waistline and number on the scale but a huge change in many other things in your life. Your attitude, confidence and overall health will improve. You will be setting a positive example for your family and friends. You will probably even think clearer and be better with your career. Everything seems to start with taking care of you first.
INSANITY vs. P90X – what program wins? There is no clear answer on this unfortunately. It all depends on your fitness goals. I started my fitness journey with P90X so I choose it first but also really love INSANITY. Runners and track athletes will choose INSANITY first. The general rule of thumb is if you want your focus to be on resistance training, choose P90X. If you want more focus on high end cardio, go the INSANITY route. I cut off 5 inches off my waist using mostly P90X and my sister cut 15 minutes off her marathon time and qualified for the Boston Marathon by incorporating INSANITY. Does it work? I think so!